Good home brew requires good, clean water. So what about great home brew?
I’ve posted before about the crossroads most home brewers will find themselves at – deciding whether or not it’s the right time to incorporate water filtration equipment into their home brewing set-up.
If you are looking for an extremely special gift for a home brewer in your life, or if you are a home brewer that’s decided to pick up something nice for yourself this holiday season, I would recommend either of the five water filter systems below.
Note that while I am approaching this from a home brewing angle, each of the systems below will provide water quality benefits for your entire household. Also note that each water filter system below represents a significant investment. Prior to ordering, as a gift or for yourself, I would encourage you to first test your water to find out exactly what type of system you need. We just happen to offer water test kits, as well, and they just happen to make for excellent stocking stuffers!
1. Big Blue Whole House Water Filter System – a popular and affordably priced filter system, the Big Blue is built to reduce sediment in high flow applications. For a home brewer or small commercial brewery, especially a brewery or operation that pulls water from a private well, this water filter system will significantly reduce the amount of sediment that makes it into the final product.
2. Evolution Tankless Reverse Osmosis System – with this water filter system, we start to enter the big time. Built to fit neatly in a space no larger than beneath your kitchen sink, this system is capable of purifying 750 to 1,500 gallons of water per day. This system is great for any home brewer still primarily headquartered in the family kitchen. As a bonus, this system will also provide the cleanest drinking water you’ve ever tasted!
3. Pentek Stainless Steel Water Filter Housing – if a home brewing hobby is slowly becoming a commercial brewing career, it may be time to invest in this sturdy housing from Pentek. Built to hold up to eight water filter cartridges, this system is perfect for restaurants, light industrial uses – and, of course – commercial brewing.
4. Ultratec Commercial Reverse Osmosis System – another option for that home brewer creeping into commercial brewing territory, this commercial grade reverse osmosis system from Ultratec provides for maximum water quality control in the brewing process. And as with any reverse osmosis system, just wait until you taste the water!
5. Crystal Quest Whole House Acid Neutralizing Water Filter System – for home brewers seeking to reduce the acidity and improve the pH balance of their water supply, this is the big daddy system most recommended. As with all of the systems on this list, this water filter system is an investment and I encourage you to test your water prior to investing.
One bonus gift that I would recommend, that we unfortunately do not offer on our site, is the book Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers, by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski. Third in a series of books by these authors, following Hops and Yeast, this book is a great guide to the importance that water and its chemistry plays in the brewing process. This book, which is getting some great feedback online, is available to order now.
If you are looking for a water filter system for a home brewer you know, or for your own home or small commercial brewing efforts, I would encourage you to call our customer service department toll free at 1-888-801-PURE (7873.)
If you are a veteran, currently serving in the Armed Forces, or are buying a gift for a veteran or soldier, use the discount code ‘VETERAN’ at checkout to take 10% off your entire order!