A Grassroots Anti-Bottled Water Movement

by wfnblog on January 10, 2013

In Arlington, Virginia, a county board member is crusading to ban bottled water and plastic bags in his city. In his campaign, he will use the argument that it takes 17 million barrels of oil to produce bottled water each year.

Bottles of water in a Landfill

In Virginia, local municipalities cannot regulate or tax any product without first having General Assembly approval. Unfortunately, attempts to tax, restrict, or ban bottled water and plastic bags were thwarted. Now, county board member Jay Fisette will launch a grass roots movement to win over the General Assembly.

Fisette said, “I will work up a very serious campaign or crusade that will take root… because the quality of bottled water is unregulated, unlike the quality of tap water.”  Armed with this knowledge,  he is setting out to teach people the truth of bottled water. For his campaign, he is using these statistics:

  • About 20% of plastic bottles are recycled while the other 80% end up in landfills of incinerators
  • Bottled water is 2-4 times the price of gasoline
  • It takes 700 years for a bottle to start decomposing
  • Bottled water usually costs over 1,000 times the cost of tap water

Luckily, the other county board members and residents in his town stand behind him on his quest. At the county board meeting on New Years Day, other board members gave their official approval for Fisette to spearhead this effort.

 

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: